Craft Edge has released an update for SCAL2 here. Here are the changes:
- The much asked for ability to export to svg files directly from SCAL. Files can also be exported as BMP and PNG. All of these are found in the menu under File/Export.
- You can now open multiple SCUT2 files in different pages of the same file. I have more detail on this here.
- The ability to use vector PDF files directly without needing to use another program to convert them to SVG first.
- Automatic simplification that can be adjusted or disabled (available through the menu: Edit/Preferences/Edit tab).
- Path Simplify has been added. I have more detail on this here.
- Adjustable grid with snapping option. Snapping is available in the View menu and the grid can be adjusted there or in the Preferences/Grid tab.
- More shapes have been added to the shapes library, including USA and a nice selection of flourishes (possibly music and symbols too, but I can’t remember for sure). I also noticed new shapes in the basics shapes section.
- Each shape is now placed on it’s own layer, and when shapes are Unioned the layers are automatically combined. If shapes are Grouped, they are all placed in a folder with the layers underneath. If a shape is deleted, it’s layer is also deleted.
- Object/Merge has been added. This is comparable to Path/Combine in Inkscape. See this post for more information on this.
- A deactivate option has been added to the Help menu. Very useful if changing computers or compatibility mode.
- The ability to move objects on the mat by clicking anywhere on them. This was actually added in 2.013, but that version was removed from the download page after a day or two.
- Fonts are now in alphabetical order, even fonts with lower case names.